Prospective Senior High School students would want to attend the best senior high schools in Ghana and Parents will equally want the best for their wards hence the search of suitable schools normally done ahead of the Basic Education Certificate Examination (BECE) each year.
Academic performance at WASSCE, School’s achievement, Infrastructure, and facilities are among the important ranking factors the Computerised School Selection and Placement System (CSSPS) and the Ghana Education Service (GES) use to rank Senior High Schools in Ghana.
Today, we present to you the full list of senior high schools that have defied all odds to register their names as a category A schools in Ghana.
The arrangement of the Category A Schools In Ghana in our publication is in no order. We are just presenting them as they were written.
This article is meant to serve as a guide to students or parents who will look for category A schools in Ghana Region for their wards.
Before we present the list of Category A Schools in Ghana, you may want to read on the Category A Schools In Ashanti Region
Here are the category A Schools In Ghana.
Ola Girls’ Senior High School, Kenyasi
Ola Girls’ Senior High School was established in 1973 by the Catholic Sisters, Our Lady of Apostles in collaboration with the late Rev James Kwadwo Owusu, and the then Omanhene of the Kenyasi No.2 Traditional Area, Nana Nsiah Ababio. However, it officially started on September 27, 1974, with 34 girls. It was until September 1976 that it was absorbed into the public school system.
Serwaa Kesse Girls Senior High School
Serwaa Kesse Girls’ Senior High School (SEKESS) is all-female second cycle institution located in Duayaw Nkwanta in the Brong Ahafo region of Ghana. As of 2016, the school was headed by Doris Cobbina Bainn, who got interdicted for collecting unapproved school fees contrary to the directive of the GES. The school is known for wining twice the National Debate competition, in 2012 and 2016.
Opoku Ware School
Opoku Ware School, often referred to as OWASS, is an all-boys high school in Santasi, a suburb of Kumasi, which is the capital of the Ashanti region of Ghana. It was established in 1952, as one of the five Catholic schools in Ghana that year. The school was named after Asante King Opoku Ware I.
Motto: Deus Lux Scientiae
T.I. Ahmadiyya Senior High School
T.I. Ahmadiyya Senior High School is a coeducational second-cycle public educational institution in Kumasi in the Ashanti Region of Ghana.
Founded: January 30, 1950
Motto: Knowledge is Power
Kumasi High School
Kumasi High School, often referred to as KUHIS, is a boys’ senior high school in the Ashanti region of Ghana. It was established in 1962, by S. K. Amoah. The students are known collectively as Mmerantee. It is located in Gyinyase near Ahinsan Estate. The motto of the school is Truth conquers.
Motto: Truth conquers.
School Colour(s): Peach (Joff Shirt)
Prempeh College is a public secondary school for boys located in Kumasi, the capital city of the Ashanti Region, Ghana. The school was founded in 1949 by the Asanteman traditional authority, the British Colonial Government, the Methodist Church Ghana and the Presbyterian Church of Ghana.
Prempeh College was founded through a collaboration between the Kumasi Traditional Council, the Presbyterian and Methodist churches in the then Gold Coast and the British Colonial Government.
Motto: Akan: Suban ne Nimdeε (Character and Integrity)
School Colours: Green and Gold
St. Louis Senior High School
St. Louis Senior High School is an all-female school located at Oduom, a suburb of Kumasi in the Ashanti Region.
St. Louis Senior High School was opened in 1952, with an initial group of 12 girls.
Motto: UT-SINT-UNUM DIEU LE VEULT
School Colours : Green and White
Yaa Asantewaa Girls’ Senior High School
Yaa Asantewaa Girls’ Senior High School is an all female Senior High School which was established in 1951 by Ghana’s first President Dr. Kwame Nkrumah. The school was founded in 1960 with funds from the Ghana Education Trust. Yaa Asantewaa is named after the Queen mother of Ejisu Yaa Asantewaa who led a war against the British Colonialists.
The school is located in a suburb called Tanoso in the Atwima Mponua District in Kumasi – Ashanti Region.
Motto: Love and Service
School Colours: Skyblue and White
This is to serve as a guide for students and parents who want to know the category a schools in Ashanti Region when choosing senior high schools within the Region.
BRONG AHAFO REGION
Berekum Presby Senior High School
The Berekum senior high school (BESS) was established in 1970 by the joint efforts of the Berekum traditional council and the Berekum youth association BYA. Before the year 1970, there was no viable secondary school in Berekum and pupils who passed the common entrance exams had to travel Kumasi, cape coast and Accra for further studies. The only secondary school run by the Anglican Church was an apology of a secondary school with less than fifty students.
When the BYA appealed to the Anglican Church to improve the conditions of the school, the church in a strong worded letter rejected the association’s appeal.
The BYA therefore decided to initiate the process to establish the school. They appealed to the traditional council who supported with them with £80. Nana Yiadom Boakye II was the then President of the Berekum traditional council.
St. Ann’s Girls’ Senior High School
Our Lady of Providence Senior High School
Our Lady of Providence S. H. S is a Roman Catholic Secondary School for girls. It is located in Kwasibourkrom – Drobo in the Brong Ahafo Region. This is the Story Behind the establishment of Our Lady of Providence Girls’ SHS
Our lady of Providence Girls’ Senior High School is established through the initiation of the late Bishop James Kwadwo Owusu and with the assistance of the religious community of the Sisters of Divine Providence. The school was established in the year 1989.
These founding partners shared a vision that the renewal of society depends to a great extent, on the family in which the mother, the first educator, has a key role. There is a relationship between the level of education of a mother and the performance of her children in the school, the mortality rate of infants, the health of the family and the socio-economic contribution of woman to the development of the country. Therefore the young woman was seen as a vital service to the community and was the driving force behind the establishment of the school.
The MOTTO of the School “AN EDUCATED WOMAN THE SEED OF A NEW GENERATION”
St. James Seminary/Senior High, Abesim
St. James Seminary is a senior high school in Sunyani, the capital of the Bono region of Ghana, founded in 1978 by Most Rev. James Kwadwo Owusu, the late bishop of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Sunyani.
It is not just a Senior High School, but also a Catholic Minor Seminary which offers a wide range of opportunities for both seminarians and non-Seminarians to make them not only aware of their potentials but to fulfil them.
The school emphasizes moral, spiritual and positive character formation in addition to striving to achieve academic excellence. St. James has been adjudged the best senior high school in Ghana over the past decade has featured consecutively in the list of top ten performing schools in the West African Examinations Council’s Senior School Certificate Exams (WASSCE) over the period.
It topped the WASSCE in 2006, 2009 and 2011 and produced the overall best and third-best candidates in West Africa in the 2016 exam.
Sunyani Senior High School
Sunyani Senior High School (SUSEC) is a coeducational second cycle institution in Sunyani in the Bono Region of Ghana.
Sunyani Senior High was established in 1958 by Ghana’s first President Dr. Kwame Nkrumah.
Notre Dame Girls’ Senior High School
Notre Dame High School was established on 28 September 1987 by the cooperative efforts of the then Catholic Bishop of Sunyani, Reverend James Kwadwo Owusu and the School Sisters of Notre Dame, Reverend Sister Dorez Mehrtens and Chiefs and people of Fiapre with an initial number of 37 females.
The first cramped temporary premises of the school were in a renovated technical school near St. Patrick’s Primary and Junior Secondary School behind the Christ the King Cathedral in Sunyani.
The school has passed under the leadership of four substantive Headmistresses, the first three of whom were School Sisters of Notre Dame.
The pioneer Headmistress was Rev. Sr. Joan Schaeffer, SSND with Rev. Sr. Mary Busson SSND as the Assistant Headmistress. The two were joined by two Rev. Sisters namely Sr. Therese Nowakoski SSND and Sr. Dorothy Ann SSND and three lay personnel as the teaching staff.
Adisadel College, popularly known as “ADISCO”, is an Anglican boys’ boarding school in Cape Coast, Ghana. Key aspects of the school’s administration and curriculum were originally modelled on the English public school system during the colonial era. The present curriculum falls within the Senior High School system in Ghana, with overall oversight by the Ghana Education Service. The word “Adisco” is a portmanteau of “Adisadel” and “College”. The school is named after what used to be a small village on the outskirts of the Cape Coast township – Adisadel Village. In recent times, the village has expanded considerably and gradually merged imperceptibly with the main township.
Motto: Vel Primus Vel Cum Primis (Either the first or with the first)
Year Founded: 1910
Scool Colors: Black and White
Holy Child School, Cape Coast
Holy Child School, also known as Angel’s Hill, is a female second-cycle institution in Cape Coast in the Central Region of Ghana. In 2003, the school was ranked among the best 10 schools in Africa, producing the best overall female student in the 2003 Senior Secondary School Certificate Examinations (SSSCE) Holy Child School also produced the best overall student, Jochebed Adwoa Sutherland and the second-best overall student, Audrey Emefa Awuttey for the 2017 West African Senior School Examination, WASSCE.
Year Founded: 1946
Motto: Facta Non Verba
School Colours: Yellow and Brown
Mfantsipim is an all-boys boarding secondary school in Cape Coast, Ghana. It was established by the Methodist Church in 1876 to foster intellectual, moral, and spiritual growth on the then Gold Coast. Its founding name was Wesleyan High School and the first headmaster was James Picot, a French scholar, who was only 18 years old on his appointment.
Mfantsipim is nicknamed “The School” by its old boys for the fact that several other schools in Ghana such as Prempeh College were born out of it, as these schools were started with students from Mfantsipim.
Year Founded: 1876
Motto: Dwen Hwɛ Kan
St. Augustine’s College
St. Augustine’s College is an all-male academic institution in Cape Coast, Ghana. The school started at Amissano, a village near Elmina, in 1930. The Roman Catholic institution was established to serve as a training college and seminary. The school was named after St. Augustine of Hippo (354 – 430 AD). The motto of the college is Omnia Vincit Labor, meaning “Perseverance conquers All”.The school has a total of 11 houses.
Year Founded: 1930
School Colours: Green And White
Wesley Girls’ High School
WGHS, Ghana, is an educational institution for girls in Cape Coast, founded in 1836, and named after the founder of Methodism, John Wesley.
The school was established in 1836 with 25 girls by the wife of a Methodist minister. It started as a primary school with the aim of offering girls training in reading and writing, sewing and house-keeping and spiritual development.
Wesley Girls’ High School was ranked 68th out of the top 100 best high schools in Africa by Africa Almanac in 2003, based upon the quality of education, student engagement, strength and activities of alumnae, school profile, internet and news visibility.
Year Founded: 1836
Mfantsiman Girls’ Senior High School
Mfantsiman Girls’ Senior High School is an all-girls second cycle institution in Saltpond in the Central Region of Ghana which was founded in 1960 by Kwame Nkrumah as Saltpond Girls’ Secondary School.
Year Founded: 1960
Okuapeman Senior High School
Okuapeman Senior High School is a coeducational second-cycle institution in Akropong in the Eastern Region of Ghana.
The school was established in 1957 by barrister Charles Opoku Acheampong, who had been a pupil in the chambers of Edward Akufo-Addo. The school has about 2,500 students, including special students.
Year Founded: 1957
Motto: Semper Primus (“Always first”)’
School Colours: Brown and White
Aburi Girls’ Senior High School
Aburi Girls’ Senior High School, formerly Aburi Girls’ Secondary School, also known as ABUGISS, is a Presbyterian all-girls’ senior high boarding school located south of Aburi in the Eastern Region of Ghana which is also one of the best category A Schools in Ghana.
The boys’ school of Aburi Girls is Presbyterian Boys’ Secondary School also known as “PreSec”. The school currently has eight houses: Irene Anderson House, Edinburgh House, Royal Park House, Barradale House, Kilsyth House, Aberdeen House, Chapel House, Sylvia Asempa House.
Year Founded: 1946
School Colours: Yellow and Green
St. Rose’s Senior High School
St Roses Senior High (Rosec or Roses) is an all-female second-cycle high school in Akwatia in the Eastern Region of Ghana.
The school has an ongoing alliance with its fellow Roman Catholic boys’ school St. Peter’s Boys Senior Secondary School (called Sperosa).
Ofori Panin Senior High School
Ofori Panin Senior High School (OPASS) is a co-educational second cycle institution in the Eastern Region of Ghana. Ofori Panin School (formerly Tafo-Kukurantumi Senior High school, now nicknamed OPASS), is a co-educational boarding school located at Tafo in Akyem, Eastern Region, Ghana. The school was founded in 1961 by Kwame Nkrumah.
The foundation stone of the building was laid on 19 May 1962 by Hon. Kofi Asante Ofori Attah, M.P. for Akim Abuakwa and Minister of Justice at that time. An alumnus/alumna of Ofori Panin is known as an “Opassian”.
The motto of the school is “Dwen Na Som” meaning “Think and Serve”, a reference to the founders’ expressed the philosophy that starting in the context of school life, male and female, everyone should serve with a thoughtful mind and be ready and willing to serve yourself, your school, family, nation and the world at large.
The school crest was designed using the leopard and other items. The leopard signifies strength and intelligence, a torch, which shows light and brightness on the path to victory, a cutlass that represents the farming community of Akim Abuakwa, a tree signifying the rain forest of Akyem Abuakwa which provides fertile land for the production of timber and cocoa, the backbone of Ghana’s economy.
St. Peter’s Senior High School
St. Peter’s Senior Secondary School, or PERSCO, is a Roman Catholic boys’ senior high school in the Eastern Region of Ghana. The school was established in 1957 by the Divine Word Missionaries (SVD). The school is located in the town of Nkwatia Kwahu on the Kwahu Ridge.
Krobo Girls’ Senior High School
Krobo Girls’ Senior High School is an all-female second cycle institution in Odumasi Krobo in the Eastern Region of Ghana.
The School was founded in March 1927 by Scottish Missionaries. Krobo Girls’ Senior High School was founded by female Scottish Missionaries in March 1927, as a Middle School for girls.
A two-year teacher training college for women was added to the girls’ school in 1944 on an experimental basis under the accelerated plan of the government.
The College was then constituted a Certificate B Teacher Training College for women in 1951 under the management of the Presbyterian Church of Ghana.
In 1962, the two-year teacher training college was changed to a four-year certificate A Teacher Training College for women and in September 1973, the Krobo Girls Middle School was phased out while the training college was converted to a girl’s secondary school, under the consolidation of Teacher Education Programme by the Ministry of Education.
Ghana Senior High, Koforidua
Ghana Senior High School, Koforidua, popularly known as GHANASS, is a high school in Koforidua. It was preceded by the establishment of two colleges that ultimately combined into what is currently known as The Beacon of the East.
In 1943, Mr. Fred Addae and Mr. Francis Adjei Tetebo established a school with an initial population of 16 boys called Phoenix College in a private temporary building. By 1950, an increase in student population necessitated the movement of the school into a new location which currently houses the Normal Technical Institute, Koforidua.
The change in location brought in its wake a change in the school’s name from Phoenix College to Christ College. The location of the premises had to change again after some time to respond to the increasing student population.
Thus, the school moved into Effiduase where it was housed at the current premises of Effiduase Police Quarters in Koforidua, Ghana.
This was made possible by the efforts of Rev. Dr. Nimako, the first MP for New Juaben Constituency, Mr WT Wutor, a contractor and Nana Frempong Mposo II, the then chief of Effiduase. During this period, Mr. Francis Adjei Tetebo was the Principal of the college. Mr Fred Addae the headmaster had then died.
Koforidua Senior High Technical
Koforidua Senior High Technical School, also called Sec-Tech, is a Senior High School located in Koforidua in the Eastern Region of Ghana. As of December 2011, the school has over 2,200 students. The school existed as a Boys School since its establishment, until recently few girls were introduced of about 5% of the overall student’s population.
Because of the initial boy population, the slogan Mmarima Mma really sufficed which means when transliterated, Sons of Men. (It is an Akan (Twi) language.)
The number increased much within the time-period of the 4-year schooling program that was introduced by the Ghana Education Service. Sec-Tech has over 120 active teachers and about 90 non-teaching staffs who are dedicated in providing the best available services to their students.
The school is headed (known as Headmaster) by Mr. S.P. Foli (the first old boy to be appointed)who took over from Mr. Bempong J.K who hails from Akwatia (as at the time of writing), born in 1953.
He headed this institute for over 9 years. The school has the largest stretch of land in Koforidua, if not the whole of Eastern Region. Most and bigger sporting events are held often in the school because of her spacious environment.
Pope John Senior High And Min. Seminary
Pope John Senior High School and Minor Seminary (formerly St John’s Seminary and College, nicknamed POJOSS), is an all-boys boarding school, located at Effiduase, Koforidua, in the Eastern Region of Ghana. It was established in 1958 by Bishop Joseph Oliver Bowers SVD as a Catholic seminary for boys who wished to become priests.
Students are offered courses such as general arts, general science, business and visual arts to pursue and after their stay in the school, sit an external examination called the West African Senior School Certificate Examination to be placed in any of the tertiary institutions in the country.
The students of the school are usually referred to as Pojomma while the alumni are addressed as Pojoba, into which they respond Daasebre. Since its establishment in 1958, the school has achieved many successes and has produced great men for Ghana and the world over. There are 2100 boys in the school.
GREATER ACCRA REGION
The Accra Academy was the first private academy to be established in the Gold Coast, present-day Ghana. The academy is one of the foremost secondary educational institutions in Ghana and operates as a non-denominational day and boarding boys’ school, located at Bubuashie, near Kaneshie in the Greater Accra Region.
The academy runs courses in business, science, general arts, general agric, and visual arts, leading to the award of a West African Senior School Certificate.
Motto: Esse Quam Videri
Founded: 20th July 1931
Accra Girls’ Senior High School
Another Category A School in Ghana is Accra Girls’ Senior High School commonly known as AGISS is an all-female second cycle institution in the Greater Accra Region of Ghana.
The school operates as a non-denominational day and boarding school. The school runs courses in business, g neral science, general arts, home economics, and visual arts, leading to the award of a West African Senior High School Certificate (WASSCE).
Motto: Aim High
Founded: 30th September 1960
Achimota School is a co-educational boarding school located at Achimota in Accra, Greater Accra, Ghana. The school was founded in 1924 by Sir Frederick Gordon Guggisberg, Dr. James Emman Kwegyir Aggrey, and the Rev. Alec Garden Fraser. It was formally opened in 1927 by Sir Frederick Guggisberg, then Governor of the British Gold Coast colony. Achimota, modeled on the British public school system, was the first mixed-gender school to be established on the Gold Coast.
The school has educated many African leaders, including Kwame Nkrumah, Edward Akufo-Addo, Jerry John Rawlings, and John Evans Atta Mills all of whom are former Heads of State of Ghana. Former President of Ghana, John Dramani Mahama had his primary education there while former Prime Minister of Ghana, Kofi Abrefa Busia also taught at Achimota.
Motto: Ut Omnes Unum Sint
(That they all may be one)
Founded: 28 January 1927
St. Mary’s Senior High School
St Mary’s Senior High School is an all female second cycle institution in Korle Gonno in the Greater Accra Region of Ghana.
St. Mary’s Senior High School was established on 6th February 1950 by the Catholic missionary sisters known as Sister Servants of the Holy Spirit(SSPS). The school started with ten girls and a staff of two(2) Reverend sisters namely: the late Reverend Sisters, Jane, and Rosette. ,
Motto: Truth and Virtue
St. Thomas Aquinas Senior High School
St. Thomas Aquinas Senior High School is a Ghanaian public day senior high school for boys in the Osu, district of Accra in, the Greater Accra Region. The school is currently located in Cantonments, a suburb of Accra. It was established mainly to provide education for boys of the Accra Archdiocese whose parents could not afford the high cost then of sending their male children to boarding schools. It was among five secondary schools established in 1952.
Motto: Veritas Liberat
(The truth shall set you free)
Presbyterian Boys’ Secondary School (PRESEC)
Presbyterian Boys’ Secondary School (PRESEC) is a prestigious secondary boarding school for boys, in Legon, Accra, Ghana. It was founded in 1938, under the auspices of the Presbyterian Church of the Gold Coast.
The Basel missionary, Nicholas Timothy Clerk (1862–1961), who served as the first Synod Clerk of the Presbyterian Church of the Gold Coast from 1918 to 1932, used his tenure to advocate for the establishment of the secondary school.
Motto: In Lumine Tuo Videbimus Lumen
Tema Senior High School
Tema Senior High School was opened on Friday, September 22nd, 1961 with an initial intake of 52 students. The number increased to 105 by the end of the month.
There were 3 Form 1 streams [A, B, and C]. These continued to the Sixth Form Level and turned out the first batch of students in 1968.
The subjects offered at the ‘Advanced Level were: English, Economics, Geography, History and Logic for the Arts and Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Pure and Applied Mathematics for the Sciences.
Tamale Senior High
Tamale Senior High School (TAMASCO) is a public Senior High School established in 1951. It is located in the newly created Sagnerigu District and close to the Northern Regional Education Office. It is the first Second Cycle institution in Northern Ghana and a high achieving School for that matter
The pride of the North, Tamale Senior High has churned out more influential people than most schools in the country. Located in Tamale, the capital of the biggest region in the country, the Northern region, the school proudly and rightly boasts of impeccable records in academics and extracurricular activities.
St. Charles Senior High School
St. Charles Minor Seminary SHS is Catholic institution which was set up with the aim of training Priests and religious for the Church while at the same time churning our responsible people for the country and the world
St. Charles Minor Seminary was first opened in 1953 at Wiaga in the Builsa District of the Upper East Region, by the Missionary of Africa (White Fathers). It was later moved to Tamale in 1955 where it is now situated. The school was moved to Tamale in 1955 because of its strategic and central position as the administrative capital of the north.
In Wiaga, the school started with 12 students as a pioneer class, and 8 in the second batch, and the third batch of 21 students were moved to Tamale. The forth batch which was made up of 29 was reduced to 15 students by the end of the year; 14 of them having been withdrawn for various reasons.
Not until the late 90s when things became very difficult for the school to be continuously sustained by the church single handily; that a decision of going into partnership with government which eventually resulted to the absorption of the school by the government in 2001. Currently, the school has a population of One Thousand and Two Hundred students (1,200), and is headed by Mr. Jakpa Paul Kelly.
Tamale Girls Senior High
Tamale Girls Senior High School is an all female second cycle institution in Tamale in the Northern Region of Ghana. The school was established in 1988 with 64 students.
Ghana Senior High, Tamale
Ghana Senior High School (GHANASCO) is a co-educational second cycle institution located in Tamale, Northern Region of Ghana.
Originally called Ghana College, the school was established in 1960 by the Government of Ghana, under Kwame Nkrumah, as one of the Ghana Education Trust Schools. It has a student population of about 2,800, and is the second largest school in the region after Tamale Senior High School (Tamasco). The first headmaster of the school was Kenneth Luther Purser, a Jamaican. Master Abu Kassim Tahidu from Kwame Danso in the Brong Ahafo region of Ghana was the first senior prefect.
UPPER EAST REGION
Bolga Girls’ Senior High School
Bolgatanga Girls Senior High School is an all female second cycle institution in Bolgatanga in the Upper East Region of Ghana, established in 1956 as a girls’ middle boarding school and converted to a women’s teaching college in 1965 and to a girls’ senior high school in 1973.
Navrongo Senior High School is a school in Navrongo which was established in September 1960 by Ghana’s first president Osagyefo Dr. Kwame Nkrumah. It was named President’s College. The president indicated his dream that this school will become a great centre of learning in the north and that he will watch its progress with keen interest.
Later, it was simply called Navrongo School (NAVASCO). Its mascot is the horn, an important northern Ghanaian symbol of royalty, bravery, and leadership. The school’s motto is “LUX BOREALIS” in Latin. It means “The Light of the North”. Old students are known as NABIA, a local word meaning Citizen.
Notre Dame Sem/Senior High School
Notre Dame Minor Seminary Senior High School is all male second cycle educational institution located in Navrongo of the Kasena-Nankana Municipality of the Upper East Region of Ghana.
The School was established by the Catholic Church through the arduous work of its missionaries led by Rev Father Lebel on 8 July 1960. The School had an initial enrollment of 31 students and was mainly managed by the Catholic Church until 1990 where the Ghana Government took over.
The current Rector of the School is Rev. Father Francis Kodelogo, a catholic priest. The School had an initial enrollment of 31 students. The school was mainly managed by the catholic Church till 1990 and was taken over by the Ghana Government in 1996. Records show that the school is one of the best schools in Ghana: it student’s performance in the West African School Certificate Examinations (WASSCE) has been excellent and extraordinary.
UPPER WEST REGION
St. Francis Girls’ Senior High School
Saint Francis of Assisi Girls’ Secondary School is the only girls’ secondary school in the Upper West Region of Ghana.It was established in 1959 as the first girls’ secondary school in North Ghana. Currently, the student population is around 600.
It is situated on Wa-Hamile Trunk road, about 2 kilometres away from the main township of Jirapa. St. Francis of Assisi, Jirapa is an all girls boarding school. The students are from every region of Ghana. This all girls Catholic High School has a sister school: St. Francis Catholic High School in Sacramento, California, USA.
Lawra Senior High School
Lawra Senior High School is located in the Upper West region. It is popular for its great strides in academics. The school has recorded proud achievements in academics and other extracurricular activities.
Teachers are commended for their dedication to work and there exists a good student-teacher relationship. The school’s discipline level is commendable.
The social environment in school can be made more invigorating by encouraging the students to be more active in clubs and societies.
Popular clubs in the school include school cadet, Red Cross, Science club among others. The school’s strongest point is its relatively good academic standards and the weakest area is its inability to project its image outside its walls.
Nandom Senior High School
The Nandom Senior High is an all-boys Catholic secondary school (formerly called St. Michael’s Secondary School) located in Nandom, the Upper West Region of Ghana, Nandom district to be precise.
The school was founded in 1968 by the Fathers of Immaculate conception (FIC) brothers with an initial number of 38 students and this has risen to 858 in recent periods.
Nandom Senior High School, also known as NANSEC, has enjoyed some glories especially in the period of General Certificate of Education (GCE) Ordinary and Advanced levels. This is evident in the year 1976 when the school witnessed outstanding results.
Mawuli School, Ho
Mawuli School is a co-educational, boarding senior high school located in Ho in the Volta Region of Ghana.
The school was founded in 1950 by the Evangelical Presbyterian Church. It was the first senior high school to be established in the Trans-Volta Togoland. It’s alumni include, Selase Agbenyefia – Ghanaian helicopter pilot, Akua Dansua – Ghanaian journalist and politician, Leila Djansi – filmmaker, Smile Dzisi – rector and interim vice-chancellor of the Koforidua Technical University, Bernice Heloo – MP Hohoe North and former deputy Minister for Environment Science, Technology and Innovations, Jerry Kuma – vice-chancellor of the University of Mines and Technology, Elizabeth Akua Ohene – Ghanaian journalist
Ola Girls’ Senior High School, Ho
Our Lady of Apostles Girls Senior High School is an all female second cycle institution in Ho in the Volta Region of Ghana.
OLA Senior High School was established on 1 February 1954 by Bishop Anthony Konings in Keta with 35 students. The school started from the borrowed premises of the convent boarding school for girls and the nearby middle school building which was converted into classrooms, dining hall and a dormitory block.
Bishop Herman College
Bishop Herman College, sometimes abbreviated to BIHECO, is a boys-only second-cycle institution located at Kpando in the Volta Region of Ghana.
Bishop Herman College was the first Catholic boys secondary school established by the Roman Catholic Church in the Volta Region of Ghana.
The college was founded by Dutch missionaries and it is one of the best performing senior high schools in Ghana. It is named after French missionary, Bishop Augustine Herman, who served in the Keta Diocese from 1923 to 1945.
The school is under the administration of the archdiocese of Ho, and its motto is “Sicut Miles Christi” (“As Soldiers of Christ”). The nickname for the college is BIHECO, and the students and alumni are BIHECANS.
Arch Bishop Porter Girls’ Senior High School
The Archbishop Porter Girls’ Secondary School (A.P.G.S.S.) is a female second cycle institution in Takoradi in the Western Region of Ghana. Archbishop Porter Girls’ Secondary School is a Catholic institution within the Ghana Public Education System. While it welcomes girls of all religious denominations. The school is sited on a hill in Fijai, Takoradi, in the Western Region of Ghana and it has come to be known as “the hill of tranquillity” for its peaceful and serene academic atmosphere.
Ghana Senior High Technical
The Ghana Secondary Technical School is a Science and Technology oriented high school located in Takoradi on the west coast of Ghana. It is the third oldest high school in Ghana – the oldest ‘non-missionary’ high school. The school was founded on 9 August 1909 in Accra as Accra Technical School and, after the name had been changed to Government Technical School, it moved to its current site in Takoradi in 1939. In 1953, the name was changed to Government Secondary Technical School, and in 1970, it was given its current name. Former students of the school are popularly known as Giants, and students in the school are called Tescans.
Sekondi College is a co-ed second cycle school in Sekondi in the Western Region of Ghana. It is one of the oldest Senior High Schools in Ghana. It has notable alumni like Anthony Benin – active justice of the Supreme Court of Ghana (2012–), Prof Kwabena Frimpong-Boateng – first black person to perform open-heart surgery, Kofi Koduah Sarpong – Ghanaian administrator and CEO of Ghana National Petroleum Corporation.
St. Johns Senior High School, Secondi
St. John’s School is an all-boys’ second-cycle Roman Catholic school located at Sekondi in the Western Region of Ghana. It is one of the best senior high schools in Ghana and the best in the region. The present curriculum falls within the Senior High School system in Ghana, with overall oversight by the Ghana Education Service.
Old Boys of St. John’s School are affectionately called Old Saints. The Old Saints Fraternity includes some of the most notable and prominent men in the country.
Old boys include award-winning Ghanaian journalist, communications expert and social entrepreneur David Ampofo, Dr Frank Abu former minister of Mines and Energy, former Chief Executive of Korle-Bu Teaching Hospital Dr.Felix Anyah.
M.K Onnomah, Ghanaian Politician and first Special Prosecutor of the Republic of Ghana Martin Amidu, The late Major Maxwell Adam Mahama, Shasha Marley and a whole group of prominent and notable alumni.
Fijai Senior High School
Fijai Senior High School, formerly Fijai Secondary School, is a co-educational senior high school located in the Western Region of Ghana. The name Fijai is from the native dialect “Afei Gyae Me”, which literally means “Now, leave me alone”.
The school got underway in 1952 as Sekondi Day Secondary School, as part of the 1951 Accelerated Plan for Education of the then Gold Coast Government.
The school was commissioned by the Paramount Chief of Essikado, Nana Kobina Nketsiah IV on 29 January 1952 with 38 students (30 boys and eight girls). The school was conducted in the buildings of the old Sekondi hospital.
The school moved to its current site in 1955 where it assumed its name Fijai Secondary School and recently changed to Fijai Senior High School.