The Ghana scholarship secretariat was introduced by H.E President Nana Addo Dankwa Akuffo-Addo in 2017. It was decentralized and digitized in the 2019/2020 academic year.
The scholarship covers academic facility user fees and tuition fees for all accredited tertiary institutions, both public and private.
Students who have gained admission or are waiting for admission can apply for the scholarship by visiting the website provided below.
Find below our comprehensive guide on how how to apply for the scholarship.
The Local Tertiary awards are in form payment of Thesis and Bursary grants to Postgraduate Students in the Public Tertiary Institutions in Ghana.
The award also covers payment of Disability Grants to the Physically Challenged Ghanaian Students in Tertiary Institutions and Long Stay Allowance for Medical Science students in Public Tertiary Institutions in the country.
Levels of Tertiary Scholarship
- Local Tertiary Awards
- Foreign Tertiary Awards
- Year Abroad Language Proficiency Programme
- Financial Assistance for Needy Ghanaian Students
Categories of the Scholarship
- Merit awards
- Hardship awards
- Northern Ghana Feeding Grants
- Presidential Independence Day award.
Mode of Application (Before Digitization)
Application forms are downloaded from the Secretariat’s website (www.ghanascholarshipsecretariat.com) after a registration code is sent to the various institutions at the beginning of the academic year.
Duly completed application forms must be endorsed by the designated institutional authority and submitted through the Dean of Graduate School to the Scholarships Secretariat.
This facility does not apply to sandwich, part-time, private/fee paying students in public tertiary institutions.
The documents are vetted by the Secretariat to ensure conformity to eligibility criteria.
For Disability allowance, completed application forms must be accompanied with h medical certificate stating the percentage of disability.
Foreign tertiary awards cover scholarships at the tertiary level of education in a foreign country. This is based on a Bilateral Cooperation Agreement between the Government of Ghana and the Government of the awarding country.
Currently, the countries that fall under this category include:
- German Government Doctoral Programme (DAAD)
In addition to the above, the Commonwealth Secretariat also award scholarships to Ghanaian at the postgraduate level based on a multilateral arrangement between Ghana and Commonwealth member countries.
There are other countries awarding scholarships to Ghanaians without a counterpart funding from the Government of Ghana.
These countries are:
- Australia Government Awards
- Japanese Government MEXT Scholarships
- Turkish Government Awards
- Mauritius Government Scholarship
Mode of Application
All scholarship offers under Bilateral Cooperation Agreements are received through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Regional Integration. The role of the Secretariat in the administration of these scholarships entails:
- Publicity on Secretariat’s website and notice board, as well as one newspaper with nationwide circulation
- Receipt and processing of applications based on eligibility criteria
- Interviews and selection of applicants by a committee.
- Submission of selected applicants to the awarding country for further consideration.
- Communication of awards to successful applicants.
LOCAL TERTIARY SCHOLARSHIPS
A. Applicants are to take note of the following;
- i. Should have gained admission into a local tertiary institution
- ii. Should have registered and enrolled to undertake the course
- iii. The Institution should be accredited by the National Accreditation Board (NAB)
- iv. Categories of Local Tertiary Institutions (Private and Public)
- v. Nurses/Teacher Training Colleges
- Colleges of Agriculture
- Technical Universities
- Certificate awarding tertiary institutions
B. Continuing students should apply online between 1St April – 15Th May of each academic year.
C. New students who had late admission should apply between 1st – 30th September of each academic year
D. Applicants will undertake an online aptitude test during the application process.
E. Appear before a panel for interviews in your selected district
F. The information of the applicant will be forwarded to the institutions of the applicant for confirmation and validation.
G. Electronic award letters will be issued to the successful applicants by the Scholarships Secretariat.
H. Payment of scholarship entitlements to respective institutions
FOREIGN TERTIARY SCHOLARSHIPS
A. Information for existing beneficiaries
Existing foreign scholarship beneficiaries will be given a portal to enable them to renew their awards annually online.
B. Bilateral Applications
Prospective applicants for bilateral scholarship awards will be required to complete the online application upon confirmation of their awards by the awarding country.
C. Non-Bilateral Scholarship Awards
All applications for non-bilateral awards will be received online when advertised.
THE 4 EASY STEPS TO YOUR SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION (AFTER DIGITIZATION IN THE 2019/2020 ACADEMIC YEAR)
1. Open the web address www.scholarshipgh.com
2. Create an account to register
First-time applicants may use this link https://www.scholarshipgh.com/index.php?pg=auth&action=register to sign up straight forward.
3. Complete the application form and upload academic transcripts, admission letters and academic certificate.
Here, you will be required to provide your First Name, Last Name, Mobile Number, and your password. Once you hit on the signup button, you will receive a four-digit OTP code to confirm your number, so make sure you use your active number.
You will be required to upload your documents, ie, Examination results (WASSCE For Freshers and School Results for continuing students), Testimonials/Recommendations.
NB: Free SHS Graduates who have not yet gained admission into any of the public or private tertiary institution can still apply, however you will be required to upload the other documents once you have them available.
4. Complete an online aptitude test and be scheduled for a selection interview in your selected district.