In this post, you are going to learn about how to get a student loan in Ghana | How to apply for a student loan in Ghana, the application process, the interest rate, and the repayment plan for loan applicants.
We all agree that education is expensive but it is undoubtedly the fastest and safest way to gain financial freedom. Not only financial freedom but it also helps build a good social status.
Whilst we all know the numerous benefits of education present to individuals and the nation at large, we can not fail to think of the financial impediments it comes with. Having little to no money may obliterate your dream of becoming educated, especially when you have little knowledge of how you can utilize other funding sources for your education.
In the other part of the world, a lot of University students depend heavily on student loans for their education. For them, their student loan can cater for their tuition fees, accommodation and some, monthly stipends.
In most African countries, depending on a student loan alone for tertiary education may look frightening. Many nations battle the challenge of timely repayment by applicants, a canker that has affected the smooth running of the scheme for years.
Whilst the student loan may not be enough to cater for your full tuition fees, accommodation, and monthly stipends, we still believe that getting a student loan can help lessen your burden in school. Remember you need a full-bodied mind and energy to fully concentrate on your studies.
Let’s quickly walk you through all need to know about applying and getting a student loan in Ghana to fund your education.
Requirements For Student Loan In Ghana
As part of the consideration for the student loan, prospective applicants will need to ensure that both their institution and programmes will make them eligible for the loan. To be able to access the loan the following must be considered:
1. School is a tertiary Institution accredited by Ghana National Accreditation Board.
2. Programmes being offered are accredited by NAB
3. Loan is for only Ghanaian citizens living and schooling in Ghana
4. Only needy applicant will be considered
A borrower shall apply the loan granted from the Fund to defray personal expenses including fees, the cost of boarding, lodging, books, equipment, and for other purposes that may be necessary for the borrower’s course of studies.
Other Application Requirements
Before an applicant applies for the loan he/she will require the following to successfully apply. Until these are provided the application will not be successful.
1. Telephone number of both applicant and guarantor
2. An E-zwich account that should be linked to your Bank account in the same bank.
3. Social security number
4. Should be a registered student of his/her school
5. Must have one personal guarantor who should either be a SSNIT contributor, MMDA, Religious Body, or a Corporate Body. Please refer to the guarantor requirement for details.
6. Two passport size photographs
Requirements of a Guarantor
GUARANTORS AND GUARANTEE
Your loan application must be guaranteed by any one of the following guarantors (SSNIT contributor, Recognized Religious Body, Metropolitan, Municipal and District Assembly, and Corporate body).
SNNIT Contributor Guarantor
a. Must be a Ghanaian
b. Must be an active contributor to the SSNIT pension scheme.
c. Must have contributed to the SSNIT scheme for at least 36 months or 3 years.
d. Must not be more than 53 years old.
e. Must not have guaranteed for more than one (1) person already. (Parents can, however, guarantee for all their children)
a. Must be a member of a recognized, national religious body.
b. There must be evidence of the Institution’s decision to guarantee (Resolution).
Metropolitan, Municipal, and District Assemblies
a. There must be evidence of Resolution by the Assembly to guarantee student loans.
b. The resolution should indicate 2 authorized signatories.
c. Signatories must include the Chief Executive.
a. The company must be a member of Ghana club 100 and/or a company listed on the Ghana Stock at the time of guarantee.
b. There must be a board resolution authorizing the guarantee.
c. Two signatories are required and should at least be in a Senior Management position.
Application Process For Student Loan In Ghana
- Log on to the SLTF website www.sltf.gov.gh
- Follow the link on the website and apply for a loan (You may save and continue with the application later if you do not complete it in one sitting).
- Follow general instructions in filling out forms online (Upload a passport picture online)
- Print out the summary pages of your Loan Application Form
- Print out and complete the Guarantor Deed and Students Loan
- Agreement forms (Complete all forms in BLACK INK and BLOCK LETTERS only)
- Have your fingerprints (INDEX AND THUMB) and your guarantor’s
- THUMBPRINT taken at any SSNIT branch office. You will be assisted by a SSNIT official. (Guarantor thumbprint applies to SSNIT guarantors only).
- Attach photocopies of the following:
- Student ID card and Admission letter.
- SSNIT ID number or SSNIT reference number.
- e-zwich card (both sides).
- Submit 2 original copies of the duly completed forms and copies of the supporting documents to your respective SLTF Campus Office.
In other to maintain the value of the money and preserve the Fund for posterity, interest is charged on the loan at a highly subsided rate. Inflation is an important factor in determining the interest rate.
The following schedule of interest rate shall be charged on the loan:
|STUDY PERIOD||NATIONAL SERVICE PERIOD||1-YEAR GRACE PERIOD||REPAYMENT PERIOD|
|*GOG182 dayT-bill rate||*GOG182 dayT-bill rate||*GOG182 day T-bill rate||*GOG182 dayT-bill rate + 2%|
* GOG – Government of Ghana.
# Maximum rate applied will be 12% until reviewed. In effect where the T-bill rate goes beyond 12%, the SLTF shall fix the rate at 12%.
Loan Repayment Period
|*Number of Loans taken||National Service Period (Yrs)||Grace Period (Yrs)||Repayment Period (Yrs)|
* The total loan received in an academic year is considered as one loan taken
It is in the interest of applicants to pay off their loan sooner than the repayment period given, in order to reduce the interest charges.
Students loan repayment made easy. Please contact our partner banks with your Social Security number to make payments:
A. GHANA COMMERCIAL BANK: SMART PAY
B. NATIONAL INVESTMENT BANK: SPECIAL SLTF PAY IN SLIP
C. ECOBANK GHANA: BANK – COLLECT
Borrowers can walk into the head office of the SLTF to make payment at no. 47, 3rd Crescent Avenue Asylum Down, near Highgate Hotel.
Borrowers can now make their Students Loan payment by any of the following modes/platforms quoting clearly your Social Security Number (SSN):
- MOBILE MONEY: by dialling Shortcode *737*206# => follow prompts to make payment
- MYGHPAY: by visiting the website: www.myghpay.com or download the myghpay app on Google Play Store
=>Register/login => click on SLTF Logo => follow onscreen prompts to make payment with either your Visa, MasterCard (OR) Mobile Money
- GT COLLECT: Make payment at ANY GT Bank branch across the country, using customised pay-in-slip.
In conclusion, we getting a student loan will help lessen your financial hustle in school so that you may have the full concentration for your studies.
Please give visiting our blog for more interesting articles.